Saturday 11 January 2014

A blog, maybe?

Having spent the first week of 2014 almost continuously reading Frugal blogs, I came across one where the author had challenged herself to save £2013 in 2013. This has inspired me to save £2014 in 2014.

I'm not a natural saver - money runs through my hands like water and I currently have no 'savings' as such. That said, I do operate a 'pots' system so whilst I tell myself I have no savings, I actually have about £500. As its earmarked for various destinations, it doesn't count as savings in my brain - and until now that's been the safest way. Because 'savings' is 'available money'- and available money is there to be frittered....


But I'm now 40 years old and its time to get a grip on my finances. I really want to start to build up some real savings - not earmarked for a particular project, just savings for savings sake. I'm hoping blogging about it might make me stick to my challenge!


So here we go, my blog on how I'm going to save £2014 in 2014. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I've changed the name of one of my bank accounts to 2014 account, and have associated a savings goal with that account within my online banking. Over the last week I've been transferring all the little odds and ends of my current account into here - so if my available balance shows at £201.73, I transfer the £1.73 over. I've also added a small Quidco payment directly into there, and a tiny balance that I had on my Paypal account. So my running total currently stands at:


£40.67

I've also just completed a closure form for my NS&I Investment account (useless to me since they changed the way it's operated) so when the cheque arrives for the small balance I had in there of around £26, I'll be adding that to my £2014 fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment